Landgrave Ernst Ludwig had in mind the Kassel Orangery and the Herrenhausen Palace in Hanover when he commissioned Louis Remy de la Fosse to plan a park in the heart of Bessungen. The original 1714 design was reduced in the final implementation. The Orangerie served as a winter shelter for the Sardinian and Sicilian orange trees from the surrounding park. It was built as an eleven-axis building with a two-storey hall open to the south, surrounded by single-storey rooms.
The adjoining Orangerie park was designed by the court gardener J. K. Ehret from Heidelberg. The symmetrical baroque complex consists of triple-tiered garden parterres, wide vistas with fountains and bordered by tree-lined avenues. Part of the garden has been preserved and is accessible to the public.
Darmstadt can be reached by car via the A5 and A67 motorways as well as via the B3 and B26.
Address: Bessunger Str. 44
A small car park on-site and spaces available in the surrounding streets.
By public transport:
From Darmstadt main train station or “Luisenplatz”, take tram line 3 in the direction of “Lichtenbergschule” to the “Orangerie” stop. Alternatively, take the 751 and WE1 bus lines to the “Edith-Stein-Schule” stop.