The so-called Kollegiengebäude (College Building), located on the northern edge of Luisenplatz, is the headquarters of the Darmstadt Regional Council. The foundation stone for the building was laid in 1777 in the reign of Landgrave Ludwig IX.
Four years later, the front building was completed in late Rococo style. It then became the headquarters of the state administration. In 1825/26, the Darmstadt master-builder Georg Moller erected the “neues Kanzleigebäude” (New Chancellery Building) as a reconstruction parallel to the Kollegiengebäude on today’s Mathildenplatz.
In 1845 and 1889, the west and east wings were the last elements of today’s four-story main building with a square inner courtyard, in which some of the concerts during the Residenzfestspiele also take place.
Darmstadt can be reached by car via the A5 and A67 motorways, as well as via the B3 and B26.
Parking is available in the city’s many multi-storey and underground car parks e.g. Luisencenter, City Carree, Wilhelminenstrasse and Grafenstrasse
By public transport:
Almost all trams and bus lines go to the “Luisenplatz”.